[plug] Whats a good web browser for linux?

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Fri Dec 19 21:25:19 WST 2003

Seeing as we're on a roll here...

Recently I upgraded my copy of Evolution, which forced the gtk engine to
be updated, which gave me a new version of Galeon. Now I'm running
v1.30.10 - upgraded from v1.2.5 (I generally run Debian Testing)

Since my upgrade, all manner of things I used on a daily basis no longer
work. The most obvious of those are:
      * I can no longer turn proxy on/off from the menu
      * I cannot save a session, nor open any of my past sessions
      * Editing of Bookmarks has become quite involved
      * You can no longer press ctrl-left-click to save an image
      * Switching between tabs activates the tab, rather than scroll
        through them until I select one.
      * All close-tab buttons are active, I can no longer force only the
        current tab to have a close-tab button
      * By default a new window opens, rather than a tab, when Galeon is
        re-launched (by clicking on a link in a mail-message)
      * Opening man/info doesn't seem to work any more.

I briefly downloaded epiphany which seemed to look the same as this
version of Galeon.

What is going on?

Galeon has up to now been my favourite web-browser, but it is rapidly
loosing its appeal.

I'm hoping that there is some documentation that addresses these issues
and that I'm simply missing some configuration directives.

So, anyone know any replacement for this formerly superb browser?

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S34°43'17" - E150°34'56" (Kangaroo Valley, NSW)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..