[OT] Buttonless mice [was: Re: [plug] Good GUI Interface Design]

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sat Dec 20 15:51:08 WST 2003

In message <20031220073642.GF1152 at erdos.home>
on Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 03:36:42PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> I would presume that on a system designed for a buttonless mouse, there
> would be some kind of convention for pointing-related keys...  (Or in
> true X11 tradition, every application could come up with its own.)

I'm probably not thinking laterally (maybe I'm not even recall things
that I have done in the past), but the thought that came to mind mind
was that you'd either need to reserve some keys for mousing or you'd
need a modifier key for the mouse.

> generally the convenience of being able to do copy - paste without
> having to touch the keyboard outweighs this.

This is where our experiences differ.

> Actually it annoys me that vim and screen can't share their cut buffer
> with X

Hehe, I routinely rely on that fact :) But vim /can/ share the X11
buffers: try "*p to paste from the X11 visual selection (see also
':help x11-selection' for other buffers).

> (Just like having a graphical/menu-y interface is more efficient than
> the command line when you're only doing something occasionally and
> can't remember the appropriate command.)

Get a zsh ;)

--
I might have forgotten to add these in some places: