[plug] Good GUI Interface Design

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sat Dec 20 16:26:40 WST 2003

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 10:23:36AM +1030, David Lloyd wrote:

| And the default theme is just nice. To be perfectly blunt, Linux Developers
| and Coders are one of the worlds' worst group of graphic designers out.
| Without bashing Linux.Conf.Au, take a look at:
|
|  * http://linux.conf.au/
|
| It's the WORST web-site for the BEST Linux Conference in the world that I've
| ever seen. I keep on clicking on "Partners Programme" for the conference
| programme. And no, I can't get it fixed--it's too late and that would
| involve yet another South Australian political intrigue and I am conducting
| too many intrigues to guarantee I'd get that one through.

It may have garish colours and too little space between the links on the
left, but at least it doesn't specify everything in pixels (like, say,
the educationalinux one does).

(Yes, I have ranted about this particular issue before on other web
pages, but until web browsers scale CSS "pixels" and "points" with the
screen resolution as per the CSS spec[1], and web pages switch to using
more sensible units that respect the preferences I have set in my
browser, I will continue to rant.  And no, I don't care if you happen to
like 6px fonts yourself, and if your eyesight is good enough to read
them, I'm happy for you.  Now where did those smileys go...  I think
James may have pinched them again.)

Cameron.

[1] See http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS1#length-units - the paragraph which
starts "Pixel units".  Okay, so it may be a bit of a liberal
interpretation of what they're saying ...