[plug] Machine stops for a second - then continues on

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Sun Dec 21 05:37:28 WST 2003

My machine has this habit of running along, then all of a sudden it
stops for a second - sometimes longer - then continues on as if nothing
happened. (You know, a cat throws a vase of the table, then looks at you
as if to say: "No it wasn't me, the vase just jumped off the table all
by itself.")

The symptoms during this freeze are:
      * The mouse moves, but nothing happens when you click - but the
        clicks are stored and used after the freeze. (As are keyboard
        strokes.)
      * The system activity applet in my menu-bar - running grey with
        niced applications (seti at home) will go black (no processor use),
        then stay black for the freeze, then continue on normally.
      * Music keeps playing.
      * Applications just stop - or appear to at least.

I'm thinking that the window manager is still humming along - the applet
updates with system activity and the mouse cursor moves, but something
isn't...

Now I'm not expecting you to have seen this before - but if you have -
great -> give!, otherwise, how would I go about tracking this down?

The problem seems intermittent, not related to any particular activity
or system load, not reproducible.

Any ideas?

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S34°43'17" - E150°34'56" (Kangaroo Valley, NSW)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..