[plug] bash scripting

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Dec 23 20:27:14 WST 2003

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 08:16:37PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:

| I wasn't aware of `type`

FWIW:

$ zsh -c 'type true'
true is a shell builtin

Also, in bash at least, typing "help" will give you a list of built in
shell commands.  (I think that this is a rather unintuitive thing to do,
incidentally, as someone without prior Unix typing "help" at the shell
prompt would likely expect some kind of help on the operating system as
a whole rather than the small portion of it that is implemented by the
shell.  Even DOS got that right - eventually!  Bash's one redeeming
feature here is that it does at least refer you to man, man -k and info
for general system help.  I seem to recall that in earlier versions it
didn't even do that!)

CP.