[plug] bash scripting

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Dec 23 21:08:57 WST 2003

 > Bash's one redeeming
> feature here is that it does at least refer you to man, man -k and info
> for general system help.  I seem to recall that in earlier versions it
> didn't even do that!)

Indeed; at least one csh (the one Tartarus used to have as default, I
think) has the same problem. I remember going almost insane when first
using UNIX in the form of Tartarus, until being given the handy and
lifesaving "man" tip. Considerable swearing followed.

It took _far_ too long after that before discovering whatis and later
apropos.

Craig Ringer