[plug] installing LAMP

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Dec 24 12:42:13 WST 2003

On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 09:20:45AM +0800, smclevie wrote:

| I apt-get removed the perl I had originally installed with apt-get.  LOTS
| of other dependencies also were removed....  Are these all to be
| re-installed by source code?

No, install them again with apt-get.  Perl is a pretty vital part of a
debian system, but a full perl system isn't installed by default;
instead you just get the perl-base package which contains the perl
interpreter and just enough to be able to run basic perl scripts.  You
also won't have lost any config files as apt-get remove won't remove
them unless you specifically tell it to (with --purge).

Debian also gives you a pretty harsh warning if you /do/ try to remove
all of perl:

uml-sid:~# apt-get remove perl perl-base
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  adduser apache-common apache-utils apache2-common apache2-mpm-threadpool
  at base-config bsdmainutils console-common console-data console-tools
  cron debconf debconf-i18n exim ifupdown ipchains liblocale-gettext-perl
  libssl0.9.7 libtext-charwidth-perl libtext-iconv-perl
  libtext-wrapi18n-perl lilo locales logrotate mailx man-db netbase
  openssl perl perl-base perl-modules ppp pppconfig pppoe pppoeconf ssh
WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  perl-base
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 37 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 77.2MB disk space will be freed.
You are about to do something potentially harmful
To continue type in the phrase ‘Yes, do as I say!’
 ?]

If you do type Yes, do as I say! you end up, surprisingly, with a system
that still boots - although I'd guess from the list above that if you
actually required LILO to boot you'd be in strife (as opposed to the
system I tested it on, which was a User-Mode Linux virtual machine - so
I could restore it to its original state by removing the COW file).  You
won't be able to do much with the resulting system, either - the network
won't come up on boot, and most interesting packages require perl either
directly or indirectly.

| It is just beginning!!

Ohhh, yes it is.  I hope you kept a list of what got removed :-/  BTW
even at this point, /don't/ bother reinstalling by wiping your system
clean and reinstalling Debian - it'd be even more hassle overall.

Cameron.