[plug] Catch output of XFree86 -scanpci -verbose

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Dec 24 12:54:00 WST 2003

In message <1072241059.735.3.camel at syngery>
on Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 12:44:19PM +0800, Chris Caston wrote:
> I'm having trouble catching the output of a command. I'm trying:
> XFree86 -scanpci -verbose > output.txt
>
> but output.txt is empty.
>
> I am of course running this with the display manager shutdown. All other
> commands seem to allow me to save the output.
>
> Any ideas?

There are a few details missing from your post, such as whether it
produces proper output when you don't use '> output.txt'. Some
programmes change their behaviour depending on whether their output is
going to a terminal or not. Maybe this is such a case. If so, you might
be able to work around it by logging your shell session.