[plug] Catch output of XFree86 -scanpci -verbose

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Dec 24 13:11:47 WST 2003

In message <OF0AFA69E1.8F0E68D2-ON48256E06.001B0946 at int.csc.com.au>
on Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 12:57:04PM +0800, tcleary2 at csc.com.au wrote:
> XFree86 -scanpci -verbose 2>&1 output.txt
>
> The numbers redirect STDERR to STOUT ( filehandles 1 & 2 respectively -
> STDIN is 0 )

Ah, yes, the other detail that was missing from the original question
(i.e. whether the correct output appeared on the terminal regardless of
the redirection). I also think that bash supports an alternative syntax,
such as:

$ XFree86 -scanpci -verbose &> output.txt

(I'm not sure where this syntax comes from, but it's in zsh, too.)