[plug] Digital cameras with gphoto/linux...

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Dec 26 23:13:01 WST 2003

On Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 10:19:23PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
| Ben Jensz wrote:
| >David & Lisa Buddrige wrote:
| >
| >>Does this mean that I should be able to read pic's or movies off any
| >>given digital camera as long as it supports USB?
|
| Yes, by removing the memory card and plugging it into a reader in your PC.

And to clarify - that works even if the camera /doesn't/ support USB.
In fact, you'd get a much much faster transfer if you use an external
USB memory stick reader than a serial camera's native connection.  You'd
have difficulty buying a new serial camera, these days.

Also, re. what Craig was saying about 'universal USB drivers' - most USB
cameras and card readers these days support either USB mass storage (in
which case the camera appears just like a hard drive) or PTP ("picture
transfer protocol" - supported by gphoto2 and its various front ends).

Cameron.