[plug] Digital cameras with gphoto/linux...

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Dec 26 23:38:55 WST 2003

On Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 11:25:17PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
| >Also, re. what Craig was saying about 'universal USB drivers' - most USB
| >cameras and card readers these days support either USB mass storage (in
| >which case the camera appears just like a hard drive) or PTP ("picture
| >transfer protocol" - supported by gphoto2 and its various front ends).
|
| From the (5 or so) cameras I've used with my PC so far, it seems to be
| mostly the latter, and mostly with various quirks and bugs to boot. Yay.
| Perhaps I've just been unlucky.

In my experience they're mostly PTP, too.  (Admittedly the sample
standard deviation is infinity as I've only had experience with using
one USB camera under Linux.)  No real quirks that I've noticed, though.
Perhaps I just had low expectations, or was lucky.

| USB mass storage class devices seem rare, alas. MP3 players and digital
| cameras should both use it, but both do so only rarely :-(

ISTR someone else on this list mentioning a USB mass storage digital
camera.  (Leon and his flashy Sony camera?)

Cameron.