[plug] OT: high pitched noise from PSU

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Sat Dec 27 07:40:25 WST 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-26 at 23:35, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 09:10:28PM +0800, Chris Caston wrote:
>
> | I think it might be the fan but I haven't open it up yet so I'm not
> | sure. I hear that fixing/replacing them requires use of a soldering
> | iron.
>
> How high pitched is the noise?  It may well /not/ be the fan, but
> capacitors or some such (note that my electronics skills are lousy so I
> may have named the wrong bit).  If it sounds like something mechanical,
> it's probably the fan; a really high pitched squeal (like you get from
> the telly) is probably something else operating at high frequency.

I think your right it isn't the fan and must the the capacitor (if
that's the right term.

> If it's old-ish, it might be a fan that requires oiling.
> See http://dansdata.com/fanmaint.htm
>
> Replacing fans is pretty easy[1].  If there's a connector on the fan,
> unplug it.  If there's no connector, snip the wires to the fan about
> half-way along (so you're not re-soldering too close to the PSU), get
> out a new fan (you do have a spare 80mm 12V fan lying around, don't
> you?),

I have about 3 PI machines I could gut (:

> and solder the appropriate coloured wires to it, and you're done.
> Make sure you cover the exposed wires with e.g. electrician's tape, so
> they don't short out.  Incidentally, when you've got the fan
> disconnected from the PSU would be a good time to verify that the fan
> really /is/ making the noise - plug it into a spare 12v supply (you've
> got one of those at least, right? at the very worst, you could
> cannibalise a molex connector and borrow a computer's PSU) and listen to
> it.
>
> Cameron.
>
> [1] I've only done it once, it worked the first time, and the PSU in
> question is still going strong.  So it can't be too bad.

Well right now I am thinking it's probably better to just buy another
case. I know most computer shops aren't open but at least Megafart
should be. This is probably good advice for a case that isn't still
under warranty but I'm probably just gonna cop out (;

Thanks mate.