[plug] OT: high pitched noise from PSU

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Sat Dec 27 08:41:10 WST 2003

few things to check:
1) CPU fan
2) Motherboard chip fan (if there is one)
3) video Card fan (if you have one)
4) PSU fan (although this one usually make a whirling noise)
5) capacitor makes high pitched sound when they are drain of power (such as when people leave on monitors without power being supplied), so in order for a capacitor to be causing a problem on your motherboard it would have to be a faulty or near faulty motherboard.

What I do is apply a little pressure to the fans using a pecil with an eraser tip. Just enough to slow it down and listen for a change of sound, if I think it's the right fan then apply a little more pressure to stop the fan.  Once it's located, you can go to a site on the web that tells you haow to repair a fan if you decide to go that way or just simply replace it.  Considering most if not all PC shops are closed until the 5th you may want to attempt fixing the fan yourself.  There are sites that walk you through the entire process (unfortunately I didn't bookmark any), but I've seen them while researching a similar situation.

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS, ASE
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

>>> caston at arach.net.au 9:10:28 pm 26/12/2003 >>>
Hello,

I built a system recently using a F313 Ritmo case. The only problem is
that there is now a high-pitched noise that comes from it when I turn it
on. If I turn it off then on again a few times the noise stops but comes
back a few minutes later.

I think it might be the fan but I haven't open it up yet so I'm not
sure. I hear that fixing/replacing them requires use of a soldering
iron.

Does anyone know of possible causes and solutions? Ideally i'd just take
it back and replace it under RA but the wholesalers are closed until Jan
5th ):

So if it's best not to fix it does anyone else know where I can get a
replacement PSU?

It's a 450w ATX and I'm using it for an Athlon 2000. I'd rather not wait
because I'm using the machine for a Linux project right now.

regards,

Chris