[plug] strange things and segment faults.

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sat Dec 27 18:18:39 WST 2003

On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 06:01:54PM +0800, Ryan Smith wrote:

| That would make sense, and explain why its decided to suddenly work now.
| But the shape which the computer is in and knowing where the parts came from
| I would probably say thats its all of the above.

At least the hard drive in your machine should be in good working order;
I know where /that/ came from ;-)  BTW when I was using a Cyrix 133 as a
gateway at home, I found that the L2 cache was incredibly broken and
switching it off in the BIOS helped.  Perhaps you might want to try the
same?  It'll slow things down a lot though.  I also used the 'badram'
patch for the kernel which lets you work around memory areas.  If
memtest86 finds that a small chunk of memory is constently bad, that
could help.

There's also a Signal 11 FAQ floating around the net somewhere that
explains a whole bunch of possible causes and solutions to things
randomly segfaulting.

	http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/

Cameron.