[plug] further LAMP

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sat Dec 27 20:30:58 WST 2003

On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 08:05:53PM +0800, smclevie wrote:

| UM.
|
| Thanks Cameron for the note that the .deb perl is fairly much 'perl-base'.  I
| got that impression.

No, you're misinterpreting what I said.  There's a 'perl-base' deb which
is a pretty vital part of the system, is installed by default, and
contains a minimal perl installation.  There's also a 'perl' deb which
you can install which contains a full Perl system with all the trimmings;
that's what you get if you apt-get install perl.

| What does one do when something doesn't work on Debian?  Cameron says 'don't
| wipe the disk...' but is there a clever
| Windows-like repair procedure?  Say something quite structural .... apt-get or
| dpkg ... how would repair happen??

Sorry, I'm not sure I can help here.  If Debian keeps a log of packages
installed or removed somewhere, you might be able to use reinstall the
packages that you uninstalled.  If it does, I don't know where to find
it, though.  As I mentioned, any configuration files will still be there
after you apt-get removed the rest of the package, so you shouldn't have
lost anything important.

Alternatively, you can just pretend nothing happened and install stuff
later if you find that you need it.  Perhaps you could get away with
just reinstalling everything of "standard" and higher priority.  (Is
there an easy way of doing this besides using dselect?)

| Explanation of previous post:  I installed apache perl and php at one stage and
| had apache working but php wouldn't (from apt-get).

apt-get install php4 didn't work for you?  You may need to edit the
apache config file to make it go, I can't remember the details.  (The
less I have to do with Perl and PHP the better :-P)

| I then started down the road of installing according to a couple of
| nice fat texts I recently bought and saw there were a great many
| "--with-" and "--enable-" options.  So this is basically how I came to
| the conclusion that I needed to work from sources.

Debian tends to enable most optional features in its packages, or at
least provide the optional features available as separate debs.  (e.g.
"apt-cache search libapache" will give you a long list of apache modules
that aren't included in the apache package but can be installed
seperately.)

| I've also had a look at a package called ApacheToolbox.  This also indicates a
| heap of options.  I want it all.. (Freddie & Queen)

I'd imagine that a lot of those options would be available as debs.

| Is there a 'SELECT ALL' option!?!

Probably not.  On the other hand, it's usually easy enough to install
stuff that you actually need, when you find out that you need it.  It
should also be possible to install extra {Apache,Perl,PHP,Python}
modules from source, in the unlikely case that what you want isn't
available in Debian.

Cameron.