[plug] Debian base reinstall

smclevie smclevie at ozemail.com.au
Sun Dec 28 14:39:54 WST 2003

Hi guys,

How does one do a base-install over a once-working system?

I do not have apt nor dpkg.  Dpkg has a "subprocess dpkg-split killed by
signal (Bus error)" and apt won't even allow 'apt-setup' ...

Is it a case of running through the install cd again?

I have no actual work-related data on the drive only config files.  I will
copy the ones of interest to the second hard drive along with the kernel
images etc prior to my next adventure.

Is the Debian (Woody) setup cd set going to do junk data on the drive if I
'mount previously initialised partitions'?

As far as I can tell the drives are intact but obviously some base
dependencies are now missing....!  The computer is 'running' as normal
except I don't have some functionality.

I am planning to mount all partitions and then 'install base system'.... (
good idea ?? )

Will I need to force a re-install??

I am using Grub (not LILO) does this make any difference?  (Like another
unrecognised partition...?)

I won't remove perl next time!

I'm off to the temple to sacrifice an animal to repent of my sins ...

Steve.