[plug] Debian base reinstall

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Dec 28 22:35:53 WST 2003

On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 10:05:42PM +0800, Bernard Blackham wrote:
| > [1] I've no idea how debootstrap copes with being run over an existing
| > system, but...), but I see no reason why it shouldn't work.  You'll be
		^ superfluous "but...), " that I should have spotted
		  before sending that message :-/

| > left with a whole bunch of files that the package system knows nothing
| > about, so perhaps a complete reinstall would be simpler and better.
|
| Maybe cruft could help determine which packages need apt-get
| --reinstall'ing.

Interesting.  I'd never heard of it before so installed it just then.
Looks like it's been a prerelease since 1998 and aj has stopped caring
about it.  The last maintainer release was almost four years ago ... and
its changelog entry says "Maintainer NMU [...] This package really needs
to be rewritten".  Splendid ;-)

| And on that note, dpigs is also a handy program I found recently
| from debian-goodies :)

Oooh, neat.  In my case, the biggest pig by a significant margin is
openoffice...  It has some peculiarities, though:

$ dpigs --help
Usage: head [OPTION]... [FILE]...
Print the first 10 lines of each FILE to standard output.
[...]

So why is this so?  Hrmm...

$ cat /usr/bin/dpigs
#!/bin/sh

LINES=$1

grep-status -nsInstalled-size,Package -F Status ' installed' $STATUS \
| perl -p00l12 -e 's/\n/ /' \
| sort -rn \
| head $LINES

CP.