[plug] Raid-5 recovery

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Mon Dec 29 09:31:50 WST 2003

I agree Craig, as I have to do a 4 x 146GB backup, since the initial drives are SCSI U320, what I've done is the following:
1) setup a RAID5 DAS with 4 x WD200GB ATA100 drives with a hot-spare drive in  Promise SC4000 DAS  and I have an image of the SCSI copied to the IDE/SCSI RAID5 system.
2) setup the backup of only data to a Ultrium Backup system
3) once a month backup of the OS
This way I get an entire server copied to an online system although the drives are ATA in a RAID5 configuration the connection to the server is SCSI.  Then I have a daily backup of the data only partition on tape.

It's getting difficult to get a system that is reliable is the main problem.  I'm currently looking at a system that can do a snapshot of the server and store this information on another system (preferably with tape backup units).  This server will have 3 -4 DDS backup units in it.  For the cost of a Ultrium Backup unit, one could build a nice backup server.

Jon

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS, ASE
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

>>> craig at postnewspapers.com.au 6:17:34 pm 28/12/2003 >>>
> If someone could suggest a cheap way of backing up 720GB of data I might
> sleep easier at night.

2 x 300GB maxtor hard disks in RAID0 or configured as two LVM PVs. Make
a giant disk image, then be happy.

http://www.maxtor.com/en/products/ata/enterprise_applications/maxline_ii/index.htm

Alternately, depending on the content of your main storage you might be
able to get away with one of them and pass the data through gzip. This
may or may not be slower.

I'm planning on popping 3 of these drives into the POST's storage server
soon, as we're outgrowing our current 3x120GB RAID5 array.

It really is a pain backing up the kind of storage that not even
long-tape SDLT can handle, isn't it?

Craig Ringer