[plug] building static binaries

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Dec 29 15:25:19 WST 2003

Luke Dudney wrote:
> I've tried setting CFLAGS=-static but this results in an error:
> checking for u_char... yes
> checking for res_init... no
> checking for res_init in -lbind... no
> checking for res_init in -lresolv... no
> checking for __res_init in -lc... yes
> checking for res_mkquery... no
> checking for res_mkquery in -lbind... no
> checking for res_mkquery in -lresolv... no
> configure: error: No resolver library found

Interesting. On my system (RH8) there is a libresolv.a - you might want
to check and see if you have a suitable static libresolv. Mine is at
/usr/lib/libresolv.a and is part of glibc-devel. My home system and
laptop (FC1) aren't near to hand, sorry.

Alternately, have a look in the config.log and see if gcc said anything
interesting when it failed.

Craig Ringer