[plug] Local Debian Repository

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Dec 29 18:34:52 WST 2003

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 05:55:44PM +0800, Chris Caston wrote:

| I'm planning to make a local Debian repository according to this howto:
| (http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/repository-howto/repository-howto.html#id2782002)

You're reading the wrong howto :-)  That howto is for setting up a
repository to contain packages that /you/ created, rather than for
mirroring the official Debian archive.

Instead, using rsync from it.net.au might be a better idea.  You can see
the scripts that I'm using at:
	http://cp.yi.org/cameron/debian_mirror_scripts/

The mirror_debian_binaries one is probably what you're after (the other
includes source too.)  You'll want to hack it around a bit but it should
be a good starting point.  (I can't remember where I pinched it from -
it was somewhere on the Debian site, I think.)

Ah, yes: http://www.debian.org/mirror/ might be worth reading.

Another option is debmirror - the commented out line at the top of the
script is what I used to use.  You might also want exclude
{Packages,Source}.{gz,bz2} as otherwise you'll be downloading three
copies - and the compressed versions don't play as well with rsync.

| One thing I am missing is an idea of how much drive space it's going to
| take up.

You'd probably be looking at something on the order of 20GB.  From the
Debian mirror on my hard drive:

$ du -sH /archive/mirrors/debian
38G     /archive/mirrors/debian
$ du -sH /archive/mirrors/debian --exclude '*.tar.gz'
24G     /archive/mirrors/debian
$ du -sH /archive/mirrors/debian --exclude '*.tar.gz' --exclude '*_alpha*'
17G     /archive/mirrors/debian

That's 17GB for i386 woody, sarge and sid; 38GB for i386+alpha+source.
It's only going to get bigger in future ;-)

Cameron.

PS.  Thanks to Andrew and the it.net.au guys for hosting the mirror that
I'm rsyncing from!