plug at plug slowness [was: Re: [plug] python head+wall issue]

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Dec 29 23:37:25 WST 2003

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 11:07:17PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:

| On spark, of course. Mentioned it to Matt in October because it seemed
| to start 'suddenly' one day -- but I have not yet verified whether my
| perception was correct.

I also got the impression that it started "suddenly", as you say - but
just a couple of weeks ago.  OTOH that isn't supported too well by the
numbers my Python script spat at me :-/

| > Excerpt of December sample:
| [...]
| >               29 Dec 2003 20:11:15 +0800 *        7.0 *       10.5
|
| Is that in minutes?

Yes.

| You seem to be faring worse than myself. I am only experiencing an
| average 4min delay on spark for the last 500 messages

The ones above are, admittedly, not representative: more commonly I'm
seeing delays of around 3--5 minutes, as the graph shows.

| (compared with a 3min delay for the last 1000 messages). OTOH the max
| delay gets up to about 10min and it's never faster than about 3min.

Hmm.  In the last month, I see some messages with <2min, and a handful
<3min.  On the other hand, I also see several (just) above 10min.

| > and the graph generated with gnuplot.  :-)
|
| Bad ;)

Okay, I'm curious: why is Octave good but gnuplot bad?  Do you have a
better alternative to suggest?

Cameron.