[plug] Raid-5 recovery

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Tue Dec 30 08:40:22 WST 2003

Brad,
I would recommend the Lian-Li Cases at Anyware, they cost around the $250 + mark but are quieter than any case I've used.  They come with fans and if I've correct they can handle up to 10 drives.

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS, ASE
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

Ben Jensz wrote:
> Brad Campbell wrote:
>

>> It's going to be worse when I crack the 1TB mark.
>> At least I don't have to back it up onto 360k floppies with MS-Backup :p)
>>
> If this is personal data, then you don't use all of that data all the
> time do you?  Why not invest in a DVD burner and back stuff up onto DVD
> to get it off of your computer, so you don't need so much space to begin
> with?

Well given it's pretty all much DVD's, .mp3's and movies ripped of
satellite I guess most of the source material was on disk anyway.

The deal here is if you bring a lot of media into Dubai you draw
attention to yourself and customs are likley to confiscate all your
media for an indefinite period of time for inspection for porn.
So I transported all mine up on 5x200GB hard disks. Customs just X-rayed
them and waved me through.

The other thing is, it's all set up as a home entertainement system with
my Projector and an IR remote. So I just turn it on and I have
FTA-TV/SAT-TV/150 Movies and 7000 mp3's at my disposal for navigation
with my remote. It would mean I had to plan what I wanted to watch
instead of scrolling through the list and landing on Red Dwarf Series 2
Episode 3.

I'm now looking for a bigger/quieter case with decent cooling for 8 hard
disks. The one I have now has 3 80mm case fans, plus 2 in the PSU plus
the CPU cooler. It's far louder than the projector and the hard disks
get a bit warm. Plus I only have room for one additional disk, and that
is right out of the fan's cooling area.

Regards,
Brad