[plug] How to force a shutdown with reboot??

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Dec 30 12:59:39 WST 2003

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 12:44:20PM +0800, Paul Arch wrote:

| On a side note, I don't know how many times I have typed reboot to take a
| server down, and waiting for that associated beep to indicate
| shutdown/reboot, but not hearing it.  Until realising I just rebooted
| another server I was connected to via ssh  ! Man that can be a sinking
| feeling

Yeah... or the other way around - I've typed "poweroff" before thinking
that I was ssh'ed into a UML virtual machine but instead powered down
the host machine... In this case you get exactly the same kind of
output, until you notice the hostname on the shell prompt. :-/

Re. James's point:  I have the machine name displayed on my screen
hardstatus line and in the shell prompt, but it doesn't stop me from
making those kinds of mistakes.

CP.