[plug] How to force a shutdown with reboot??

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Dec 30 13:03:36 WST 2003

James Devenish wrote:
> BTW I am under the impression that this would just invoke `shutdown`,
> because traditionally you would want `shutdown` to do nice things and
> poke `init` prior to `reboot` on a multi-user system.

Indeed. I had a nasty surprise when shutting down our OpenServer box a
few days ago. As is my habit, I just typed 'halt'... and sure enough,
the system halted. It was nice enough to flush the buffers on it's
non-journalling filesystem first, but that was about it.

UNIX gives you enough rope...

Another good one on an OpenServer box is using 'killall'. Whoops. I now
use 'pkill' all the time instead ;-)

Craig Ringer