[plug] How to force a shutdown with reboot??

Luke Dudney dex at wn.com.au
Tue Dec 30 13:08:10 WST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 12:44, Paul Arch wrote:
> >What using the command "reboot"?  It works for all the rhl servers I manage
> remotely.
>
> This will work under Suse 7.2 ( currently using 8.1 ).
>
> On a side note, I don't know how many times I have typed reboot to take a
> server down, and waiting for that associated beep to indicate
> shutdown/reboot, but not hearing it.  Until realising I just rebooted
> another server I was connected to via ssh  ! Man that can be a sinking
> feeling
>
> cheers

Ahh, the importance of a descriptive prompt, and $PROMPT_COMMAND for
xterms! Won't save you every time, but "if it only saves you once a
year..."

Using bash I have my PS1 set to
0=[12:52:22]luke at skippy:~$ echo $PS1
$?=[\t]\u@\h:\w\$
0=[12:51:14]luke at skippy:~$ false
1=[12:51:14]luke at skippy:~$

The return value of your last command is always important to know; I
have the time for... the time, or in case I forget to time(1) something;
username; hostname; and working directory.

0=[12:51:16]luke at skippy:~$ echo $PROMPT_COMMAND
echo -ne "\033]0;${USER}@${HOSTNAME%%.*}:${PWD/#$HOME/~}\007"

Displays similar information in your xterm's title bar.

Does anyone else have any preferences or hints on a productive shell
prompt?

Cheers
Luke