[plug] directory places

Mike Holland myk at westnet.com.au
Tue Dec 30 13:23:20 WST 2003

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, smclevie wrote:

> I assume anything not specifically given a partition lies in the bootable
> "/" partition ...

No such concept as "bootable partition" in Linux.

When a partiton is mounted, it is grafted on to the directory tree, and
needn't be just under /.

> Which means  bin, boot, cdrom, dev, etc, floppy, initrd, lib, mnt, opt,
> proc and root are in the "/" partition.

Even /home and /usr exist in the root partiton, but are probably empty
directories, until the other is mounted on top.
You should be looking at the mount table, not the partiton table.

> Which leads to a further question,
>
> Q.  How much space is generous for the bootable "/" partition?  Could it
> blow out in future in some unforeseen way?

I'd be more worried about /tmp or /var filling. Why do you have so many
partitons? For a home system, just / and /home plus swap is easier.