[plug] How to force a shutdown with reboot??

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Dec 30 17:47:10 WST 2003

In message <20031230093652.GE21859 at amidala>
on Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 05:36:52PM +0800, Bernard Blackham wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 01:19:59PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
> > > No, it's actually equivalent to 'init 6' (or 'init 0' in the case of
> > > halt/poweroff).  reboot -f forces a reboot Right Now.  man reboot :-)
> >
> > Bzzzt :)
>
> But he's right. It is "equivalent" to init 6 or init 0, though
> doesn't invoke it directly. The system will enter runlevel 0/6
> eventually. :)

Well, he's only right in the sense that I could be construed as being
"right" if I said "init 0 is equivalent to pulling the AC supply out of
the back of your computer" -- both are going to halt the system, but
they are not equivalent for the intents and purposes that I would have
thought were relevant to the practical circumstances of this discussion.
:P