[plug] OFFTOPIC: Help with a Wizard PC

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Tue Dec 30 20:21:06 WST 2003

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 08:01:51PM +0800, Matthew Prouse wrote:
> I've bought a Wizard today - Netway upgraded the memory to 128MB
> and I've drilled some more holes in the box for cooling purposes
> HOWEVER the version of RedHat that's preinstalled (6.2) is
> horribly broken: it doesnt even boot - it locks up looking for
> "wd" and  then perpetually loops looking for it.... HOWEVER I need
> to rip Linux off (boo!) and put Windows 9x on it.

It's not actually locked up, there's just no getty on tty1. If you
press Alt+F2 or pick any other vc, there should be a login prompt.
root password is "2stupid4me" iirc.

> Has anyone done this? How do I do it step-by-step? I do have a
> 2.5" to 3.5" IDE cable converter lying around somewhere but I have
> minimal idea where to begin.

Best to ask on the wizard list - somebody there might've done so
already. (And I see you've done so already :) The way I'd do it, is
to use that magic cable from Netway to put the laptop HDD into a PC
with a CDROM drive. Do the install there, and then put the HDD back.

> This PC is being used to host Lotus Organizer diary files and will
> do very little work... but I do need Windows. Does anyone feel
> like helping me? I have applied to join the Wizard list but I
> haven't got a confirmation yet.

You are subscribed and should've received a confirmation email - I'd
blame bigpuddle's server for being slow :)

> PS: Bernard, I remember you saying that you had received my PLUG
> membership money in early November - I haven't got any receipt or
> acknowledgement yet...

*goes to bug el Treasurer Mark* :)

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>