[plug] OFFTOPIC: Help with a Wizard PC

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Dec 31 00:14:14 WST 2003

Matthew Prouse wrote:
> That is an interesting idea and I think it's a better solution EXCEPT this PC has to run Windows
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to wipe Linux and load Windows on a Wizard?

Sure, but it isn't especially easy. Windows tends to break horribly when
installed on one machine then moved, so you can't just install it using
a laptop disk adapter in your PC. You'll need to get an IDE cable for
the Wizard that'll let you attach a CD-ROM to it, and install that way.

Alternately, you could make a special image of a newer windows version
like XP that includes extra drivers, etc. That way you could prob'ly
install on a normal PC then transfer it. I think you use a utility
called 'sysprep', but I've never used it myself.

Alternately, talk to the guy at Netway in Wembley, he's done it. With
WinME *gag*.

I did my Debian install the _really_ easy way - I just copied an
existing disk image I had on hand to the disk using my desktop, then
rewrote the MBR on the disk and dropped it back in the wizard.

Craig Ringer