[plug] curious network snag

Sol sol at autonomon.net
Sun Feb 2 17:50:06 WST 2003

Hi there,

I've just got my new laptop running and am finally getting around to using it.
(As a side point, I was surprised at how easy it was to install Debian on my
Sony Vaio pcgfxa10. I found it easier than installing on my PC.) I was trying
to reach my mail (IMAP) and kmail couldn't find the mail server. So I checked
my configuration settings against those on kmail on my PC five time (OCD -
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) just to be sure to be sure, and still the same
problem. So I can receive mail on my PC (which is a gateway to the internet
via adsl modem) but not on my laptop.

Okay, so I check a few things out:
1. pings - can ping mail.terminus.net.au from PC but not from laptop; can ping
ftp.uwa.edu.au from both PC and laptop
2. web - can load pages from web on both on PC and laptop BUT cannot get
www.terminus.net.au from my laptop
3. independent verification - i checked mail (POP from westnet.com.au) on my
brother's laptop so mail isn't being blocked by the firewall or something
funny like that.

Is it me?

ta,
sol