[plug] [OT] Goodbye, Columbia

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Sun Feb 2 23:49:58 WST 2003

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 23:06:01 +0800 (WST) Mike Holland <myk at plug.linux.org.au> wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Simon Scott wrote:
>
> > In fact, the risks are pretty low. Look at what NASA achieve and how few
> > accidents theyve had. I wonder how their safety record matches up against
> > most of the worlds airlines
>
> You must be kidding! Shuttle launches have maybe a 98% survival rate.
> Anything unmanned, rather less.  Airlines - consider how many fatalities
> in decades of Australian commercial jet travel (none?). Thats with as many
> flights per day as the shuttles have done _ever_. >99.999% survival.

Here's some more maths on the beeb. See "How dangerous is it?" at the bottom.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2717535.stm

Harry

--
linux.conf.au 2003		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://linux.conf.au/		22-25 January 2003 in Perth, Western Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.ca.asn.au/