[plug] [linux] v.basic manual install question

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Mon Feb 3 19:46:48 WST 2003

On 3 Feb 2003, Daniel wrote:

> If I install a program by going
> "./configure, make, make install" how do I remove it?

Have a read about 'Makefile's. They are very important in Unix/Linux.
There is no package management here, it just does whatever instructions are
in the makefile. Take a look at the 'install' target in the Makefile.
  Conventionally, it loads files into /usr/local/lib, /usr/local/bin, and
documentation. There may be an 'uninstall' target which removes them.

> Is it as simple as just removing the directory I have installed it in?

Usually its many directories, but defaults to under /usr/local .

--
You ain't seen nothing yet.  - Miguel de Cervantes