[plug] curious network snag

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Tue Feb 4 17:08:46 WST 2003

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 03:03:29 +0000 (UTC)
sol at autonomon.net (Sol) wrote:

> Okay, so I check a few things out:
> 1. pings - can ping mail.terminus.net.au from PC but not from laptop;
> can ping ftp.uwa.edu.au from both PC and laptop

Hate to say this but it may just be name resolution for terminus.net.au
- we have have just switched over from connect.com.au to NameScout as
the registrar because the old name servers listed by connect were no
longer operational.  Before the change went through some name lookups
were failing.  Maybe your PC had the IP address in its hosts file or was
using a different DNS server to your laptop.

--
JEREMY MALCOLM <Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au> Personal: http://www.malcolm.id.au
Providing online networks of Australian lawyers (http://www.ilaw.com.au)