[plug] Sendmail on RH 8.0- accepting connections

Mark O'Shea mark at tarbuck.nosignal.org
Wed Feb 5 20:41:37 WST 2003

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Tim Bowden wrote:

> <snip>
> > It now accepts connections from the lan, but not from the outside
> > world.
> Have to take that back.  It's not accepting connections after all. Long night ahead of me I think...
> Thanks,
> Tim Bowden

One thing that Redhat tends to do (I don't know if they do in RH8) is set
up sendmail so that it doesn't accept connections that aren't local out of
the box.  Check /usr/lib/sendmail-cf/cf/redhat.mc (might be RedHat.mc). If
it has a commented line (ie. starting with dnl) saying that the next line
will stop all external connections then that will be your problem.  Just
put dnl at the begining of the line (or delete it) and then remake the cf
file:
	m4 newmcfile.mc > sendmail.cf
Then copy it over and restart sendmail.  That might be a lot of the
problem.  Then again it might not.

On a seperate note, hi everyone, I'm new to this list.  At the moment I
live in the UK, but am soon going to be moving to Perth.  It's nice to see
that there is quite an active lug there and I'll hopefully be able to make
it to your meetings when I come over.

--
Mark O'Shea
mark at tarbuck.nosignal.org