[plug] name-based port forwarding with iptables

John locutus at borg.apana.org.au
Wed Feb 5 20:52:50 WST 2003

I'm running woody on a 2.4 kernel with iptables setup, and what i want
to do is port forward based on the NAME of the server that's being
requested.

What I mean is that I have a box with a real-world IP address, which has
two dns entries mapped to it.  That box gateways for my network.  Now,
if a packet comes in that's trying to go to abc.org, I want that packet
to go to one machine on the network.  If a packet comes in that's
looking for xyz.org, I want it routed to another machine.

Nothing I've read so far tells me how to do this except for with a web
server setup using apache.  I want to do it with smtp, and one machine
is running postfix and the other exim.

Anyone done this?  Anyone got any ideas on how to do it?

--
John <locutus at borg.apana.org.au>
APANA WA Huntingdale MAS