[plug] Campaign Speech

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Fri Feb 7 10:23:30 WST 2003

My preferred position is President of Vice. My wife's preferred position for
me is `not elected' but isn't sad about Committee and will sit still for
Vice. (-:

With Tony nominated and accepted for Prez, I'm inclined to withdraw from
running for that office, but will wait and see what happens on the day. It
would also step around the biggest conflict-of-interest questions WRT Linux
Australia. Most of the LA Committee have been unconcerned about CoI anyway.

Tony would make an excellent Prez. He's shown his patience, competence etc in
his Sec/Tres office, he has enough character/charisma/whatever to be an
interesting Prez, enough drive to do the job effectively, and more than
enough common sense to not botch it.

I would make a terrible Secretary or Treasurer (but any cries of `Hear, hear!'
will be deemed rude :-)

So... if elected, I'd continue to push PLUG, would not be the LA LUG rep from
WA (so Bret has an alternate local rep he can use for politicking), would
support Tony's and the Committee's decisions even if I disagreed with them,
am pretty happy with other Committee hopefuls in general, would be looking to
do a lot more stuff, especially practical or fun stuff, with PLUG.

For full disclosure, I'm an LA and SLPWA Committee member both, have been a
past President of Vice for PLUG, 40, married 2nd time around, with
2-occasionally-3 children, do Linux consultancy work more than full time, am
interested in a lot of weird stuff, organised educationaLinux 2003 (and look
like helping with 2004), get a lot of pre-Linux yammering published, and must
go now.

See y'all at the AGM on Tuesday. Oh, and I plan to turn up to Microsoft's
`Competitive Session' on Thursday (which I expect to be a Shared Source
promo) and ask pointy questions, and maybe get lynched. Anyone else game? (-:

Cheers; Leon