[plug] koffice was: Re: Abiword and Gnumeric

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Sun Feb 9 22:03:53 WST 2003

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 20:01:36 +0800 Leon Brooks <leon at brooks.fdns.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 09 February 2003 12:45 pm, Harry McNally wrote:
> > Abiword lacks tables but will work on doc and rtf otherwise.
>
> KOffice should do better than that. You don't need to use KDE as the WM
> to run it, either. There are a whole passel of neato apps included in KDE
> 3.1 and beyond, educational apps, a POVray manager, their vector graphics
> are getting good enough to rival CorelDraw, and so on. How long since
> you've reviewed KOffice for use in your systems?

I have to sheepishly admit that I thought koffice and kde had to go together.
Also I was trying to avoid pulling in the kde libraries for space reasons
but I ended up adding the kde games which added most of the libraries
anyway and is part of the reason for the distro needing an 850MB drive to
install; you need space for the .deb archive while it installs and then the
freed space become the home dirs.

So, I'll add koffice to the list. Abiword has the advantage that it has
a similar appearance to Word which helps novices transition back and forth
to the legacy OS. I'll see how disimilar koffice looks.

Thatns Leon and all the best
Harry

--
linux.conf.au 2003		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://linux.conf.au/		22-25 January 2003 in Perth, Western Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.ca.asn.au/