[plug] [link] Linus and the fire-hose

LineOne nicholls.m at lineone.net
Tue Feb 11 02:22:42 WST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harry McNally" <harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au>
To: <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 3:14 AM
Subject: Re: [plug] [link] Linus and the fire-hose

> On 10 Feb 2003 01:02:34 -0000 "Simon Scott" <sscott at iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
> > Anyone who has done bit-bashing can tell you that architecture specific
> > optimizations can be one of the best ways to squeeze performance. I
guess
> > these days some of this is handled by the compiler, but still certain
> > optimizations would be unknown to the compiler. Im guessing it would be
like
> > the difference between using the blitter and not using the blitter on an
Amiga
> > :)
>
> Graphics is a prickly example but any hardware specific speedups are going
> be handled by the drivers, yes ? Drivers take advantage of the hardware
features
> but the driver can still be written in C.
>
> > Guessing aside, does anyone have much of an idea about the realities of
this?
> > Is Linux simply 'coded better'? Or perhaps I am wrong and windows is
also
> > platform independent?
>
> I don't think you are giving C compilers enough credit for optimisation.
>
> And maybe the argument needs to separate hardware features from core OS
> structure and algorithms.
>
> cu
> Harry
>
> --
> linux.conf.au 2003 The Australian Linux Technical Conference
> http://linux.conf.au/ 22-25 January 2003 in Perth, Western Australia
> It was huge. Adelaide next year. I'm going.
>
> Are you a computer angel? http://www.ca.asn.au/

Someone mention the Amiga!

Ive got an old Amiga a1200 here (souped up & towered up).  On it I have got
a vintage, debian setup, it and it actually runs X, takes a month to boot up
tho' originally done it for a college project never had the heart to throw
it out!  Talk about squeezing power, motorola 68000 series, those were the
days?

<sigh/>

Picard to Worf "On my command unleash Windows95"