[plug] SysVinit wierdness

Stephen Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Wed Feb 12 13:31:58 WST 2003

More info - see below

---- Original Message ----
From: sboak at westnet.com.au
To: plug at plug.linux.org.au,
Subject: RE: [plug] SysVinit wierdness
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 12:21:57 +0800

>Hi gang
>
>Anybody had this before?
>
>I'm running Mandrake 9, and having a problem with the runlevel
>scripts. It appears that coming up in level 5, only rc5.d scripts at
>or below S80sendmail are being run, but S85http and above are not.
>
>/var/log/messages shows sendmail as the last daemon started (and it
>started OK), S85httpd and above are not even mentioned, ie init
>ignored them comletely.
>
>I can start the missing daemons manually with no errors, but that
>doesn't help after a power failure 'tested' my system yesterday!
>
>I'm lost for ideas - anybody got suggestions?
>
>Steve

It appears that the last script from rc5.d before S85httpd
did not finish, holding up the whole init process.

Snippets from "ps -ax" - niether of them should be there
several hours after boot...

  597 ?        SW     0:00 /bin/bash /etc/rc.d/rc 5
and
 3134 ?        SW     0:00 /bin/bash /etc/rc5.d/S80sendmail start

Now I need to find out why...

Steve