[plug] XFree86 and 8 bit Visuals

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Wed Feb 12 14:39:47 WST 2003

Does anyone here know how to get xfree86 to report 8 bit PseudoColor
Visuals when in 24 bit TrueColor mode?

I'm involved in an effort to get linux boxes to replace xterms here
where I work, and the current show stopper is that when running with 24
bits of colour, xfree86 does not report any 8 bit "visual"s.  Other X
servers will do that, eg the IBM AIX servers we have on various boxes
here.  We have some old apps that refuse to run without 8 bits.  I'm
going around in circles trying to find out if this is fixable, and was
wondering if anyone else here had had and solved this problem?

Yes, I know we can start XFree86 in 8 bit mode and run everything like
that, but that's not really an option... :)

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
Your manuscript is both good and original, but the part that is good is not
original and the part that is original is not good.
		-- Samuel Johnson