[plug] XFree86 and 8 bit Visuals

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Wed Feb 12 15:05:29 WST 2003

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 02:52:08PM +0800, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Russell Steicke wrote:
>
> > Yes, I know we can start XFree86 in 8 bit mode and run everything like
> > that, but that's not really an option... :)
>
> A somewhat underhanded way might be to run an Xnest display in 8-bit mode.
> then everything will look pretty except the stuff that need 8bit.

We've thought of this, and also doing the same thing with vnc.  But it
really needs to be seamless or the users will revolt, which tends to
rule out Xnest and vnc.

(Brace for jokes about revolting users...)

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
Collaboration, n.:
	A literary partnership based on the false assumption that the
	other fellow can spell.