[plug] Spark rebooting again, new kernel

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Fri Feb 14 12:16:55 WST 2003

I'm seeing issues when both ethernet cards in Spark are in use at the same
time.  One's a Lance (built in) 10Mb card, and the other is a BigMAC SBUS
10/100 card.

Using either of them by itself works fine[0] but using both at the same
time[1] results in nasty packet loss over both interfaces.

Spark is currently running 2.2.18pre21 because there are no pre-compiled
2.4 kernels for this architecture (sun4m) so last night I compiled a
custom 2.4.20 (only took 2 hours) hoping the newer kernel will fix the
problem.

Failing that we may need to either find an alternative SBUS ethernet card
for Spark or find a compatible ethernet card for the HP.

I also compiled SMP support into the new kernel.  I guess we'll see
shortly if that was a good idea[2] or not.

Anyway - rebooting in 5 minutes.

 - Matt

[0] Although when using the Big MAC I always see a huge number of
    seemingly harmless "Link down, cable problem?" errors
[1] so I can set PLUG up as a MASQ gateway for the xbox and HPPA
[2] When I last tried SMP (2 years ago) on this box it would occasionally
    freeze under load