[plug] Mirrors

Sham Chukoury chukours at sesmailp1.curtin.edu.au
Fri Feb 14 14:55:27 WST 2003

James Elliott wrote:

>1.  Since we pay no more for Internet use if we download from within
>Australia as distinct from overseas, why use mirrors? - what is the
>advantage?
>2.  Who pays for the mirror sites if the downloads are free?

Well, since the mirrors are in Australia and we are in Australia, then
it means all network traffic happens within Australia (assuming your
network doesn't route through some server overseas in the first place).
This means lower latency during downloads (i.e. faster download...
hopefully). The other advantage is load distribution - everyone trying
to get a bit of software/source code doesn't have to add to the load on
a single server. In fact, some servers do not accept more than a
specified number of connections at once, so having more mirrors means
you have more connection options.

Who pays? Well that depends on where the mirror is. Some ISPs provide
mirrors, so they pay for the servers.

§:)