[plug] samba connection problems

Alan Graham alan.graham at infonetsystems.com.au
Sun Feb 16 10:41:24 WST 2003

I've come into this conversation late, so apologies if say thongs that
you've already been over.

The main error you're having (it seems) is a name resolution error on
the XP box (ie, network path not found).  Remember that SMB in general
doesn't use DNS, and the SMAB namespace is completey separate to the
netbios namespace.  I;'d suggest that this is an XP problem, rather than
a samba problem.

Things to try;
Can gatie see server2?  Ie, on gatie, what does "smbclient -L server2"
show?  If it shows the shares you expect from server2, then the problem
is definitely name resolution on XP.

Name resolution in an SMB network is handled by multiple broadcasts,
unless you have a WINS server.  Is gatie set up to be a wins server?

Do all three machines agree on the workgroup?

On the XP box, what is the result of "net view" ?

What is the result of "net view /workgroup=ournetwork" ?

Is the XP box only using tcp/ip?  If it's running netbeui, disable it,
as netbios over tcp/ip is sufficient.  Netbios over netbeui won't talk
to netbios over tcp/ip, as they're on different LANA's.

Keep us informed.

Alan