[plug] HPT-370

Rob Davies rob at rjdarts.com
Thu Feb 20 09:12:15 WST 2003

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 1:04pm, Brad Campbell wrote:
> G'day all,
> I have an Abit-KT7-RAID motherboard at home that I can't get
> more than about 10-15 MB/s from the secondary ide port.
> This board has the HPT-370 RAID on board and I thought I
> could use that chip purely as an extra ide controller.
> When I plug a drive into it, the kernel hangs after detecting
> the standard on-board drives.
> I have compiled the HPT-370 driver in and if I unplug the
> drive from the HPT the system works fine.
>
> Has anyone used one of these chips before?
> Do I have to use the hpt bios to stripe the drive before I do
> anything with it?
> I already have 80GB on this disk and want to avoid having to
> backup/restore this data if at all possible.
>
> As to the 10-15 MB/s on the secondary port. I can plug the
> disk into the primary port and get 30MB/s off the bat.
> hdparm settings are the same for hda,b,c&d
> Cables are identical.
>
> Brad

Have you given lilo its commands about the extra controller,
also the 2.4.19 kernel later editions actually has the drivers
for the hpt *** ide controller.

disk = /dev/hd*
	bios=0x80
disk =/dev/hd*
	bios=0x81

This goes into lilo in the first part of config, also the drive
that is bootable is the one you put in above config first.

Make sure you have the bios turned on for hpt controller via
boot sequence although kernel does not really need this with
later variants as it does its own bios configuration based on
lilo or grub maybe even intrid information.
hth
ciao
--
Rob Davies
rob at rjdarts.com
ICQ: 10432219
'To converse is one strategy that separates us, from the Apes!'