[plug] Monday - getting [OT] with ramblings

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Fri Feb 21 11:31:37 WST 2003

>Gentlemen,

>I am very new to Linux and planning to bring my machine on Monday evening

>A Pay my money
>B Resolve a "minor' hardware problem
>C Listen and Learn
>d Hopefully get help and advise
>E Maybe get an replacement of my last learning software - Borland Turbo C
>ran fine on DOS and then crashed Windows

Turbo C under DOS was what enabled me to convert a friend to Linux for
serious use. He still uses Win for games, but if he wants to do something
in anger, he uses Linux. Basically he was programming genetic algorithm
type stuff and under DOS, he was stuck with the 640KB limit - anybody
remember that? The only thing he could was buy a set of libs which allowed
mallocs above the 1MB line into XMS/EMS (whichever) or develop his own
paging algorithm or write to disk. Once he had Linux installed, he could
malloc until he filled all memory and his swap space - he was one happy
chappy. Since he'd used Emacs at Varsity (silly boy), he was happy.

>Please be gentle with me, I am returning to an interest of many years ago.
>hope that not all the grey matter is totally dead
>In retrospect my age is probably about three time most of yours, however
on
>Monday I will be the white haired OLD B******

Still got hair, have you, can't be too decrepit, then. You and I could
probably investigate Linux on pacemakers together, because I'm another GOF.
;)

>regards

>Bern

Regards and welcome