[plug] Filesystem for large files?

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Fri Feb 21 12:29:52 WST 2003

G'day all,

I'm doing some VHS to DVD/VCD conversions at the moment and the drive
I'm capturing to is currently formatted ext2.
As the files exceed 2GB, it appears to take progressively longer to
write a chunk (About 10MB). The chunk size remains constant across the
file write, but in the 4 hours write time it takes longer and longer to
write the chunks. Is this related to ext2? Has anyone got experience in
handling files of 20GB or larger and what would be the best filesystem
to be using for this?
I was using ext3 and figured it may be something to do with journaling,
so degraded to ext2 but the problem remains.

I realise as I get to the inner of the disk that my write speed is going
to decrease, but I'm writing a 20GB file to a blank 80GB disk so it
should not hurt that much.

BTW the HPT-370 has taken my sustained reads from 10MB/s to 37MB/s and
my writes from about 10MB/s to 27MB/s. Nice improvement.
Also 2.4.21-pre has the matrox TVout for G450 integrated. Niiiiiice.
If I could get Vsync working for Mplayer I'd be really happy.

--
Brad....
  /"\