[plug] Time server

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Sat Feb 22 15:28:31 WST 2003

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, Quintin Lette wrote:

> Thanks guys,
>
> I have now put the script into the normal start/stop routine :) ok I thought
> it was probably better to do it "properly" hopefully this will work.
>
> Just a note about /etc/init.d/rcS though, it says in the comments within the
> script that it should only be used for initial setup.
>
> <quote from /etc/init.d/rcS on woody>
> #
> #       See if system needs to be setup. This is ONLY meant to
> #       be used for the initial setup after a fresh installation!
> #
> </quote>

Ahh okay I wasn't as clear as I should have been.  I thought you could
copy rcS and then modify it to do basically exactly what rc.boot does, with
one small change, the timing.

> also the /etc/rc.boot/ that Cameron suggested sounds great but I thought I'd
> do it properly this time just to make sure I could I will probably use it
> next time though :)

I didn't suggest rc.boot as it runs before normal daemons and it's only there
for compatability with older versions of debian. It's possible that you may
need some service that isn't ready at that stage (picture a notebook that
doesn't have a network connection because card manager isn't ready).  My
theory is that any thnag that is happily run _after_ the system has booted
_should_ be run after the system has done its normal boot sequence.

I should have mentioned rc.boot tho.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein