[plug] Magic Smoke

Simon Newton newtons at iinet.net.au
Sat Feb 22 18:46:02 WST 2003

----- Original Email -----
From: Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au>
To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
Date: 22-Feb-2003 17:52
Subject: Re: [plug] Magic Smoke

> > The next project will be to implement NIS or similar, so everyone with an
> > account on Spark can log into the xbox.
>
> I can, from recent experience, reccomend using slapd, libnss-ldap and
> libpam-ldap in STRONG preference to NIS. LDAP is a bit hard to get the
> head around at first but is pretty darn nice to work with after that.
> Much more flexible and potentially much more secure than NIS.
> Craig

I agree with Craig. I've just implemented LDAP based authentication coupled
with nfs sharing of user's home directories at HQ. Now user's are able to roam
freely across linux workstations. Apache has been setup to restrict access to
certain cgi's to certain LDAP authenticated users and our custom groupware
software stores its information about users in the LDAP directory. The only
thing that remains is to setup Samba to authenticate users to the LDAP server
at which point we will have a completely centralised user account system :)

Reading all of this now makes me think I should really backup the LDAP server
:)

Simon N