[plug] mounting woes, previous symlinks

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 23 19:24:26 WST 2003

G'day fellers!

I've recently been trying to work around a copy protected CD, but have run
into a hitch, where I changed around some device names. I normally have
/dev/hdc (DVD-ROM drive) as /dev/cdrom and /dev/hdd (burner, IDE) as
/dev/cdrom1.

Today I deleted the two and did
ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom1
and
ln -s /dev/hdd /dev/cdrom,
therefore swapping the two.

After trying it out and finding it wasn't working out, I tried a normal data
CD (a few actually) in the burner, after switching /dev/cdrom and
/dev/cdrom1 back around. The DVD Rom drive mounts things fine, but I get the
following errors  whenever I try to mount a CD in the burner (hdd):

[root at dorris nhoj]# mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom1
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdd,
       or too many mounted file systems
       (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
       ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
[root at dorris nhoj]# mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom1,
       or too many mounted file systems
       (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
       ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
[root at dorris nhoj]# mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom1
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdd,
       or too many mounted file systems
       (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
       ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
[root at dorris nhoj]#
[root at dorris nhoj]# mount -t auto /dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom1
/dev/hdd: Input/output error
mount: you must specify the filesystem type
[root at dorris nhoj]#

I've tried out using /dev/so, sr0 and sda, but they aren't there, except one
which gives a different error message. Any ideas? If you need any more bits
of info, giz a shout.
Cheers! :)

John

Make lunch, not war.